Friday, 29 August 2014

Why I haven't been blogging for the last 4 months & How I broke my leg ❤

As you may or may not have noticed, there have been no blog posts on Beautyandkatie since the 23rd of April. A mixture of things have caused this to happen, but none of them are significant enough to be used as an excuse. I haven't contracted a serious illness or moved halfway across the world, I just haven't blogged. It's not that I got bored of blogging and chose to stop, I absolutely loved blogging. There is no justification to why I stopped, I just stopped.

I have been meaning to write this for a while now, but every time I looked at my blog, I got annoyed at how I had stopped and I slowly fell into a cycle of postponing when I was going to come back. There is no point in me apologizing or giving a fake, totally unbelievable excuse. I am back and should hopefully be posting, I can't guarantee that it will be regular since I am entering year 11 and I'm probably going to be very busy, but I will be active in the blogging community once again.

Since i'm not entirely sure what else to put in this post, I will tell you the quite amusing story of breaking my leg:

So it's the 12th of May and I'm back at school the weekend after doing my bronze Duke of Edinburgh, which was an extremely tiring but enjoyable experience. I have P.E third period and decide to do javelin, everyone's complaining about how achy and tired they are and the fact that they can't run due to their blister covered feet. Especially the girls who will do almost anything to get out of doing anything physical, (me being one of them.) When it's my turn to run to the white line, I say "But sir i'm aching and I've got blisters" hoping that he will be slightly sympathetic and let me sit down instead, but being the P.E teacher that he is, he tells me to get up and warm up. So I begin to run and just as I reach the white line I turn, which twists my body and the next thing i know my knee feels entirely out of place and I feel excruciating pain coming from my leg. I half sit down/fall to the ground thinking that I've just twisted my leg. The only person that seems to half notice is my friend and a couple of others, I'm down for a minute or so when my teacher comes over and I tell him my legs really hurting, which is quite hard when your in so much shock and pain. He then tells me to get up and go to the first aid room which is inside the school, I tell him that I physically can't get up, but he makes my anyway and I start to hop across the field (which is a very long way when you can barely walk.) 

I make it too the first aid room assisted by a fellow pupil and just about manage to mumble what happened  whilst sitting down in the first aid room. My knee is swelling extremely quickly (I won't go into too much detail, it wasn't pretty.) My mum is called and arrives swiftly, they put me in a wheelchair and attempt to wheel me out to my mums car. Me being me I attempt so sort out my eye makeup since I was beginning to have a slight resemblance to a panda, I then refuse to be wheeled any further since I am a tad stubborn and insisted I could do it myself. I said bye to my friends.

Once In hospital, I was transferred quickly to the pediatric ward in A&E and sent for an x-ray. Which was inconclusive, so I had to go for another specialist one. I hadn't even considered that I had a broken leg at this point I thought that I had probably dislocated it. When the news came that I had broken my Tibia Plateau, I broke into tears, the thing that I was most worried about was wearing a cast, since i knew I wouldn't be able to wear leggings or jeans. Yes, I had just broken my leg and I was worried about what I was going to wear; typical Katie. I was put on gas and air (Laughing gas), which was a quite a funny experience since I basically acted like a 2 year old for half an hour. I had to stay in hospital for the next two nights, which was not exactly a great experience since every hour I had to have a nurse come and do my Obs, which is when she had to feel my foot and check my heart rate and temperature, EVERY HOUR. I think I was more worried about the nurse seeing my slightly chipped painted toe nails then I was about the fact that I was in hospital with a broken leg. As you can tell, I really need to get my priorities straight. I basically spent the rest of that day on my phone and reading, whilst in hospital I read 2 whole books. 

Had to covered all my details, almost posted it unedited!

On the 13th of May was my brothers birthday, but instead of going out for dinner, he had to come to the hospital and visit me. My family brought me up some birthday cake and he opened his present from me on the ward, I felt so bad. I was fitted with a leg brace, which is not very comfortable and doesn't look good whats so ever. The good thing was that I was finally allowed to get off my bed which I hadn't left  for almost 2 days, I was taught how to use crutches, which is a lot harder than it looks. I slept in hospital again that night. I was near breakdown point on the 14th when I got in my car to go home, I realized that I wouldn't have nurses with me 24/7 and that my life for the next few weeks was going to consist of laying in bed until I could return to school. My friends were very supportive and came over a few times over those 3 weeks. The problem with returning to school was having to have someone carry all of my things and having to somehow find black trousers that would fit over a giant leg brace. I ended up going back to school wearing baggy black Primark pajama bottoms, which were the only things I could seem to fit over my leg.

This is what my leg brace looked like:

I had to have an MRI scan a few weeks after the injury to see what was going on, I was practically shitting myself knowing that i was going to have to lay in a small confined space with loud sounds for up to an hour. For someone who is claustrophobic, an MRI is practically living hell. When I got my results the consultant said that everything was going fine so I asked him "Have I dislocated it then", since I had had the suspicion that I had since day one, he replied with "I don't think so" which was expected since almost every doctor I had asked said probably not to that very question. He went of, checked the results and guess what, I was right all along I had dislocated it, which had caused the break in the first place. I had figured it out and yet after examining me for several weeks none of the doctors had, the first thing I said to my mum was "As if I got it right and the doctors didn't, HA."

One of the perks of being Temporarily disabled in your movement is the fact that everyone seems to be a lot nicer to you, for example people hold doors open for you, the teachers let you leave the lessons early and most importantly you don't have to queue for lunch.  Almost 4 months later I have ditched the crutches and am almost back to my normal self, apart from having extremely pale legs and a reasonably tanned upper half.

Breaking my leg is not a valid excuse for not blogging, but it sure made it harder to. Sorry if this post was extremely boring.


  1. Hi Katie, I have nominated you for the Liebster Award, check out the post on my blog to see what it's all about :) xx

  2. Aw, I'm glad your better! I missed seeing your posts in my feed!